Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Kleine Bit Netherlands/A Petite Bit Francais





St. Maarten/St. Martin combines two cultures I know well. Having lived in The Netherlands and studied French, it's an interesting place to me. Opposite of the island's geographic split, my trip was 2/3 Dutch and 1/3 French, excluding food.




Getting there took forever and almost cost a fortune. After leaving slightly later tha planned, I got half way to the LA airport before realizing that I'd left my passport at home. On the way back for it, I found out it would cost over $600 to take the only flight from San Diego that would get me to LA in time. Fingers crossed for a flight delay, I zipped back up the freeway and made it just in time. Thank goodness I'd cashed in enough miles to be flying first class. Quick check in and a shorter security line got me to the gate with time to spare, especially given that the wished-for delay did happen. My connection from Miami to San Juan ran a little late, but still left time for an easy final connection.


Margie's trip was not so easy. Weather delayed her at Dulles and she ended up stuck there overnight. Then her morning arrival changed to afternoon. She didn't arrive until 24 hours after I did.





No comments: